In a little while I’ll be flying to Los Angeles! I’m looking forward to touching down in the City of Angels and exploring what the area has to offer. I’ve never had a burning desire to visit LA but the more I read about the city the more I want to see and do. Blogs like Cupcakes and Cashmere have shown me that there’s more to being a local than a desire to work in the film industry and I’m totally addicted to Curbed’s LA mansion tours.
Like New York, Los Angeles is a city I have learnt about and experienced through film and television. From The OC to Californication I’ve always wondered whether the reality lives up to the fantasy.
Popular opinion states you need a car to get around LA, but we will be exploring the city how we explore London; on foot and by public transport. Everyone I’ve spoken to thinks we’re mad, but then everyone I’ve spoken to doesn’t spend much time on foot or on public transportation in the UK either. I’ve done a bit of research and it seems LA is more accessible by public transport than ever before, so I’m hopeful we will get around just fine.
For now I’ll leave you with a few interesting articles about Los Angeles that I’ve read recently:
- A fun push to highlight that the LA metro system has the second best transit coverage in the nation
- Restaurants like AXE make me think I’m going to love LA (we’ll save the burgers for Vegas)
- How the Mojo Robot created a place a fun public space in Los Angeles
- Political street art in LA
- Guess what I’ll be doing in LA? A ‘Clueless’ map guide to Los Angeles
As ever, any tips about what to do in LA (or California in general) would be most welcome. Thanks for all your suggestions so far!